Failte! We’re promoting an awareness of the area’s native dialect in our community with diverse Gaelic related activities running all year round.
Highland Perthshire has a large number of Gaelic speakers as well as the most Gaelic place names in Scotland and is home to the Perthshire & Angus Provincial Mòd.
Gaelic Medium Education is growing in Breadalbane Academy – Highland Perthshire’s secondary school – and increasing the presence of, and opportunity to learn and use, the Gaelic language is a priority for The Birks Cinema Trust.
There’s lots of ways to get involved…
- Bi-lingual storytelling working with songs and stories collected by Lady Evelyn Stuart Murray
- Live literature events and talks linking language, culture and traditions
- A monthly Gaelic Café offering the chance to learn and practice the language by mixing with speakers of all ages and abilities in a relaxed atmosphere over tea and biscuits
- Gaelic-related film screenings
- Gaelic awareness training
…and we’re also planning to introduce Gaelic signage throughout the cinema, including our Café Bar menus!
Return to Arts, Culture & Heritage